A booster seat is used to cushion and elevate a child while ensuring that they are safely strapped in. CDC data shows that using car seats can reduce the risk of injury in car crashed by 71-82% in comparison to just using the vehicle’s seat belt system. Booster seats can reduce this risk by up to 45% for children aged between 4 and 8. Therefore, laws exist in most US states and territories requiring the use of car seats. Booster seats can be standalone seats or usage modes in convertible or all-in-one seats. They come in 3 types; backless booster, high back booster and combination booster seats. Mifold’s Hifold is a highback booster that is easy to fold and compact enough to travel with.
Most booster seats are designed for children that fall between 4 and 12 years of age or are between 40 and 59 inches in height. US laws require children to travel in a booster seat once they are too big to travel in a forward facing seat and until they are over 9 years in age or 57 inches in height. Booster seats are, usually, the last type of car seat your child will need before your child is old enough or big enough to rely on just the seat belt for safety.
Introduction to Highback Booster Seats – Pros and Cons
When a child is too big for a harnessed seat, a booster seat becomes an essential aspect of vehicular safety. While all types of booster seats have their merits, some parents prefer using highback booster seats. They are more chair-like in appearance and use the vehicle’s seat belts for safety.
Jon Sumroy, an English father or 3 children, got the inspiration to develop a new car seat from his own life juggling between work, travel and raising his kids. The endless carpooling resulted in the creation of Mifold in 2002. He raised nearly $2 million through Indiegogo and started working on a seat that combined a child’s safety with travel convenience. Today, Mifold produces a range of car seats such as the Comfort, Original, Hifold, and Sport car seat lines and variation. They also produce accessories such as carry bags and cups for car seat cup holders. Mifold products have been manufactured by CarFoldio Ltd since 2017. While Mifold is a US based company, their products are available all over the world and are known for their innovation, safety and reliability.
Mifold customers have easy access to support and the company can be reached through their website, their email and telephone number. Instruction manuals and videos can also be accessed through their website. They also offer the option to register the purchased seat on their website, so that customers can be informed incase a product or model needs to be recalled. They also offer a 30 day money-back guarantee for US residents as well as a replacement and repair warranty for defective products.
The Hifold Fit-and-fold is a highback booster seat that is mean for a child that outgrows a forward facing car seat. It is a lightweight seat and, therefore, is easy to carry. It comes with a strap that makes it even easier to travel with. You can even buy one of Mifold’s carry bags. When it folds, it is compact enough to fit in most backpacks and even under an airplane seat. While airplane seats are not compatible with booster seats, it is still prudent to travel with one. It is highly adjustable and can fit children of different weights and heights with equal ease. The Hifold is one of the best and most compact booster seats in the market and is certified for use in the US, Canada, the European Union and many other countries of the world. For international travelers, this means that you don’t have to buy a new seat in order to meet different international standards.
Despite its many merits, it is the duty of responsible parents to thoroughly research products that can affect the safety of their child. The following segments contact everything you need to know about this foldable highback booster seat.
- Height range: 46 to 59 inches
- Weight range (US and EU): 33 to 100 pounds (Expect some variations at state (US) or country (EU) level)
- Weight range (Canada): 40 to 100 pounds
- High back booster seat use only
- Needs to be used with the vehicle’s headrest
- Manufacturer does not recommend a minimum age (Research state or federal laws for guidance)
- Cup holders can be used (Need to be purchased separately)
- Should not be used with inflatable seatbelts
- Should be replaced after a crash
- Fabric cover is machine washable and line dryable
- Limited 1 year warranty from date of purchase
- Lifespan: 7 years from date of manufacture
- Seat pan depth: 11 inches
- Seat weight: 9.9 pounds
- Additional Features:
- Adjustable headrest (Lever)
- Side impact protection
- Lap belt guide
- Shoulder belt guide
- Storage space for instruction manual (Under the seat base cover)
- Read the instruction manual and seek expert guidance.
- Unfold headrest by rotating it until it locks.
- Then unfold the seat by rotating it until it locks into position.
- Rotate the wings/side protection until they are locked into position.
- Use the levers and to adjust the position.
- Use the belt guides to move the belt through the recommended path.
- For more information such as seat adjustment and guidance on how to fold or unfold the seat, follow the steps provided in the instruction manual.
(There is a significant risk of pinching in multiple steps)
Should You Buy?
As with all car seats, the Hifold booster seat isn’t perfect. There are a few flaws. However, many of these flaws are common to all booster seats. The pros greatly outweigh the cons. We always recommend parents to decide what seat to buy based on the needs of the child as well their own preferences. If your child meets the Hifold highback booster seat’s age, height and weight requirements, this seat is definitely worth considering. It comes highly recommended for parents that travel frequently. It is safe, legal for use in most parts of the world and doesn’t require much storage space. This makes it an ideal companion for international travel as well. It is also highly recommended for older children that are, relatively, smaller in size. It is an innovative product that offers incredibly portability, convenience and comfort without compromising on safety.